Dental health is one of the significant concerns in human life. Many factors could deter one’s dental health. These are either genetic, diet-related, or accidental factors. Kids are exposed to many dental complications. Some common ones include:
- Teeth grinding- This complication is also known as bruxism. It is most common among school-going children. Teeth grinding occurs as a result of misalignment of the upper and lower jaws. Another cause of bruxism is a response to pain. As kids are exposed to pain, they tend to grind their teeth as a coping mechanism. Bruxism can be taken as a symptom of stress or hyperactivity in children.
- Gum disease-Gum disease could also be termed pediatric gingivitis. This is the inflammation of gum tissues. Poor oral and hygiene standards usually cause gum disease. This complication is associated with swollen and red gums at the beginning. If left unattended, the disease spreads, causing the gum to recede from teeth and bleed easily.
- Teeth sensitivity-Teeth sensitivity is a common problem with kids. Although many people associate it with older people, kids’ enamel is not fully developed and easily worn out. The wearing out of the enamel exposed tooth nerves leading to discomfort when in contact with a cold or hot substance.
- Teeth misalignment-This is another common tooth problem many kids encounter. It is hard for a child’s teeth to grow in a straightforward and well-spaced manner naturally. Misalignment occurs when teeth grow in a manner contrary to the expected. It could be teeth crowding at a jaw segment or teeth growing in a direction other than perpendicular to the jaw. In children, teeth misalignment could lead to injuries on the internal part of the mount. The child’s self-esteem might be lowered due to misaligned teeth. Teeth misalignment makes it hard to smile or keep the mouth closed when necessary.
Causes Of Teeth Misalignment in Kids
Teeth misalignment, also called malocclusion, is caused by several factors. The causative factors determine the treatment method used to remedy the condition. Some of the prevalent causes of malocclusion include:
- Jaw injuries- Accidental causes of malocclusion are many. A child might suffer from teeth misalignment due to injuries that change the structure and position of the jaw. Such cases could either be permanent or reversible. Correcting malocclusion caused by an accident could involve surgery. In some cases, physiotherapy is used to realign the jaw and hence realign the teeth.
- Behavioral causes-Certain behaviors in children contribute to a malocclusion. They include excessive sucking of the thumb at the early stages of teeth development. Continuing pulling of the thumb between teeth slowly alters the growth direction of front teeth. In such cases, the growth will be more pronounced at the front of the mouth. Another cause related to thumb sucking is prolonged use of bottle feeding in early childhood. Children tend to bite on feeding bottles as they eat. When done continuously, the force exerted on the teeth alters the direction of growth.
- Medical causes-Malocclusion can be caused as a result of poorly conducted dental care routines. These include improper fitting of dental fillings, crowns, and braces. In such cases, Invisalign for kids is recommended as an alternative treatment.
Merits Of Using Invisalign for Kids
Invisalign is a result of technological advancements in dental care. This malocclusion treatment process is an alternative to traditional braces. It involves the use of a transparent medical-grade plastic-based teeth enclosure to realign teeth. The enclosures are models of patients’ mouths with slight adjustments to exert a small force that changes teeth’ growth direction and spacing. Here are some advantages of using Invisalign for kids over traditional braces.
- Comfort-Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign for kids is made to fit the exact size of the patient’s mouth, making it comfortable. The uniform and polished outer surface of the mold prevents possible injuries to internal parts of the mouth. During treatment, patients are supposed to see the dentist after a specified period to adjust the mold. The adjustment includes tightening the existing mold or replacing it with a new one with different properties suitable for each stage of recovery. The regular adjustments ensure no discomfort is felt during the treatment procedure.
- Easy to clean-Invisalign for kids is made with a smooth and consistent surface that prevents trapping food particles. This makes the molds easy to clean and prevents other dental infections due to compromised dental hygiene. With Invisalign molds, food particles can’t be trapped between teeth. This implies that one can eat without being worried about how to clean their teeth. During installation, the patient’s mouth and teeth are well cleaned and polished. This keeps them free from possible infection throughout the duration they stay with the mold.
- Faster recovery-Several tests have proven Invisalign to be more effective within a short time compared to traditional braces. It takes a minimum of fourteen days for one to see changes while using Invisalign models. This is why patients are required to visit the dentist within a minimum of two weeks during their treatment. Traditional braces take a longer time to deliver the same results as Invisalign. Faster results are part of why Invisalign for kids is a preferred treatment method for malocclusion. For school-going children, Invisalign can be used to remedy malocclusion resulting from accidents.
- It is cheaper-Invisalign is readily available, unlike steel used to manufacture traditional braces. The availability and ease of use and manufacturing make Invisalign for kids an economical treatment for a malocclusion. The plastic used to make models is treated and recycled to make newer models for patients. No other infection occurs during treatment; this saves on costs when treating infections caused by traditional braces.
Despite the benefits, Invisalign usage could be detrimental if not applied properly. Therefore, one needs the services of an experienced dentist with adequate knowledge of Invisalign. One can ask for recommendations from others for good dentists within their areas. Recommendations can also be found on social media platforms and dental health-related publications.